April 14, 2009 | By Kate Hennessy |
What: International Conference and PhD Workshop on Transcultural Montage
Where: Moesgaard Estate, University of Aarhus, DK
When: August 24 to 26, 2009; Workshop August 27, 209
Abstract Submission Deadline: May 1, 2009
I am kino-eye. I am a builder. I have placed you, whom I’ve created today, in an extraordinary room which did not exist until just now when I also created it.
Dziga Vertov, 1923
• Professor George Marcus, University of California
• Professor Bruce Kapferer, University of Bergen
• Dr. Anna Grimshaw, Emory University
• Peter Crawford, University of Tromsø
• Jakob Høgel, Danish Film Institute
• Dr. Stuart McLean, University of Minnesota
• Professor Catherine Russell, Concordia University
This conference focuses on the topic of montage and its possibilities and limitations for moving beyond realist forms of representation in anthropology. In its conventional usage, montage refers to the juxtaposition of shots in the production of film. However, in addition to ethnographic film, this conference also addresses the use of montage in other forms of anthropological communication, such as writing, exhibition making, photography, and video installation.